West of Scotland Malleable Steel Co
Probably the first malleable iron works in Motherwell was the West of Scotland Malleable Steel Co, which started in 1849. This Company erected works at Motherwell on a site adjoining the new railway. Although its chief partner was Mr James Merry MP, it was not a success and closed down in 1851.
In 1853, the Glasgow Iron and Steel Co acquired the derelict works of the West of Scotland Malleable Steel Co at Motherwell for £42,050. The works were managed by Thomas Martin, who improved, and patented, the refining and puddling of iron.
The works closed in 1902.
Sources of Information
-  Clydebridge Steel Work history