Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

West Gloucestershire Power Co

From Graces Guide

1922 The Norchard Syndicate changed its name to the West Gloucestershire Power Company Limited, which was incorporated on 23 March 1922. The company built a power station at Lydney.

1928 West Gloucestershire Power Company contracted to supply additional power required in Gloucester. This supply was delivered at 33,000 volts and the switch-house and main substation for its control and transformation to 11,000 volts adjoined the generating station (in Gloucester). The step-down substation contained two 3,000 kw. transformers with space for a third and 33,000 volt switch-gear for three transformers.

An 11,000 volt ironclad switchboard controlled and distributed the general supply, in part through a system of high-tension cables to seventeen substations serving an area of about 60 square miles, and in part through motor-generators to the network in the more central portions of the city, supplementing the power produced by the Gloucester Electricity Generating Station. The suburban substations were of three types containing high- and low-tension switch-gear and one or more transformers.

1948 Nationalised[1]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, 10 March 1948