Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,118 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Webster Paulson ( -1887)
1888 Obituary 
WEBSTER PAULSON was educated at the Grantham Grammar School, and was afterwards put for four years with Mr. T. Chapel, of the firm of Messrs. Cubitt, Gray’s Inn Road, London, to learn the trade of a builder.
In 1861 he was chosen by the late Mr. E. M. Barry, R.A., Assoc. Inst. C.E., as his Clerk of Works for the construction of the new Opera House in Malta, where also he commenced and completed the Anglican Church at Sliema for Mr. M. Hills of the Adelphi.
Wishing to remain in Malta, he was in 1867 appointed by the local government as temporary Clerk of Works, and in 1873 Clerk of Works on the fixed establishment in the Land, Revenue, and Public Works Department. On the suppression of this department in 1880, he was transferred, in the same capacity, to that of Public Works, which was constituted a separate establishment. Here he continued to serve, under the Hon. E. M. Galizia, M.Inst.C.E., until his death, which occurred from cholera on the 16th of August, 1887, after an illness of six days.
Besides the direction of several architectural works, Mr. Paulson was engaged in the construction of a shipbuilding yard; in the extension of a large boat-slip in the Grand Harbour; in the construction of a boat-slip in the Valley of Zurineg ; of a landing place and breakwater in St. Paul’s Bay ; and of several sanitary works in Government buildings. He had also charge for some years of the branch “Roads, Streets, Bridges, Lighthouses, &c.” and of the repairs of wharves, besides having a considerable private practice as an architect. He was much respected by all classes of the community for his affable and courteous manners, and performed his duties in a manner most creditable to him, and to the full satisfaction of his superior officers.
Mr. Paulson was elected an Associate on the 30th of May, 1876, and was subsequently transferred to the class of Associate Member.