Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,425 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Webb's Crystal Glass Company, of 40 Norfolk Street, The Strand, London, glass makers.
c.1920 Company established and floated.
1920 British Glass Industries entered into contracts to acquire controlling interest in a number of undertakings making electric light bulbs, tumblers, lamp glass used for scientific and medical and industrial purposes, crystal and table ware, and other types of glass. These companies were to be amalgamated and controlled through Webb's Crystal Glass Co Ltd, the controlling interest in which would be owned by British Glass Industries. Companies concerned included:
1922 The Tutbury Works were leased out to another company.
1925 Reduction in capital.
1930 Henry G. Richardson and Sons was taken over by Thomas Webb and Sons. According to an Agreement, dated 25th July, the company of Henry G. Richardson and Sons was sold to Webb's Crystal Glass Co on that date. A new private limited company called Henry G. Richardson and Sons Ltd was set up at that time, as a subsidiary of Webbs Crystal.
1936 Had a substantial interest in Duro-Ray Ltd; had been managers of that company since its inception. Increasing interest in their silvered-lining products for flood lighting, street lighting, etc.
1951 The company had 2 production units - Stourbridge (Webbs) and Edinburgh (Edinburgh Crystal) - and 4 subsidiaries - Duroglass Ltd, Duro-Ray Ltd, R. Johnson and Co Ltd, Henry G. Richardson and Son Ltd.
1964 Taken over by Crown House.