Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,378 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Weardale Coal and Iron Co of Tudhoe, Spennymoor
1846 Expanded to Weardale Iron and Coal Co, with Attwood as managing partner and controlled financially by Baring Brothers
The Weardale company controlled its own resources of iron ore, coal, and limestone.
1852 another processing plant was developed at Tudhoe near Spennymoor; the company also opened three collieries. 3000 employees.
1854 Obtained leases on ironstone deposits in the Cleveland district (later than some others)
1861 installed a set of small Bessemer converters at Tudhoe.
After experiments on production of steel by melting together cast iron and refined bar iron, Attwood achieved a patent in 1862
First licensee of C. W. Siemens's regenerative gas-fired furnace applied to making steel.
About 1864 Attwood built a new factory on his own account at Wolsingham, the Stanners Closes works; this was to survive for many years within its specialized field of cast-steel articles.
1865 Attwood retired as managing partner of the Weardale company.
1866 See 1866 Cleveland Blast Furnaces for detail of furnaces at Stanhope and Towlaw.
1866 December, Mr. Dyson left the Weardale Iron Company,
1873 Reportedly built one locomotive.
1894 Royal Agricultural Show. Exhibitor (as Weardale Iron Company). 
1899 Became the Weardale Steel, Coal and Coke Co. It owned nine collieries in Durham. Annual average output in the past three years was coal 1,350,000 tons; coke 380,000 tons; steel ingots 68,200 tons; and finished iron and steel of 47,300 tons.