Takes New Bridge Street across the River Irwell a short distance north west of Manchester Victoria Station, between Salford and Strangeways.
The present plate girder bridge replaced the original cast iron arch bridge made by the Coalbrookdale Company in 1817 (see below).
1817: 'Cast Iron Bridge, Strangeways. — This bridge, an elegantly-neat structure of one arch of 122 feet span, opening a desirable communication between Salford and Strangeways, over the river Irwell, is now completed, and may deservedly be considered as proof of the decided superiority of cast-iron bridges, in the essential points of economy and facility of execution, the abutments and bridge having been completed in the short period of eight months; and with a slightness of scaffolding, and limited number of workmen, truly astonishing ; as we understand that, after the completion of the abutments, not more than from six to ten workmen were employed, to fix the scaffolding and complete the iron-work. — The erection of this bridge was contracted for by the Coalbrookdale Company.'. Illustration here.
1866 Invitation to tender for the wrought and cast iron and other metal work, and for the masonry and construction work, for the reconstruction of Waterloo bridge. Advert placed by Joseph Heron, Manchester Town Clerk