Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,141 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is not the same as the Limerick and Waterford Railway.
1845 Incorporated as Waterford and Limerick Railway.
The Waterford and Limerick Railway later became the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway (q.v. for list of W&LR and W,L&R locomotives).
The line opened as follows:-
1848 Railway opened 9th May 1848 between Limerick and Tipperary but work was finally completed c1854.
1853 Limerick and Ennis Railway incorporated on 4th Aug 1853 and opened in 1859. Eventually amalgamated with the WLR in 1874.
1858 Limerick, Castle Connell and Killaloe Railway branch opened to Castle Connell in Aug 1858 and to Killaloe on Apr 1862.
1858 Athenry and Tuam Railway, incorporated July 1858 and opened September 1860.
1860 Athenry and Ennis Junction Railway incorporated in Aug 1860 and opened in Sept 1869.
The AEJR was leased to the WLR on 1 November 1872, and both lines were taken over by it from 27 July 1893.
1865 Incorporated in 1865 and gradually opened up to completion in 1880, The Southern of Ireland Railway branch left the WRL from Clonmel to Thurles and joined the GSWR main line from Dublin to Cork.
1894 Line extended to Claremorris from Tuam, in April 1894 by the Athenry and Tuam Extension Railway
1895 The final link to the Sligo line from Claremorris at Collooney was opened in Oct 1895.
The following lines were worked by the Waterford and Limerick to make up the 'North Kerry’ line to Tralee:
1887 A branch from Tralee to Fenit was opened at 8 miles in length.
1896 Became the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway.