Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,980 pages of information and 229,143 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Warwick Huson Johnson (1846-1899)
1900 Obituary 
WARWICK HUSON JOHNSON was born on the 7th February, 1846.
He went to India at the age of sixteen, and received his engineering training at the Thomason Civil Engineering College, Roorkee, where he qualified for the post of an Assistant Engineer in the Indian Public Works Department.
He was appointed to that Department in 1865, and served in the Punjab provincial branch from that year until 1872, when he was posted to the Military Works branch.
From November, 1873, to May, 1875, he was employed on famine works in Bengal, and received the commendation of the Bengal Government for his services.
In 1879 Mr. Johnson was re-transferred to the Punjab, and he continued to be employed in that province until his death, which took place on the 24th July, 1899. He had attained the rank of Executive Engineer, 1st grade, in 1884, and offciated as Superintending Engineer in 1893. He was within two years of his retirement on pension, having nearly completed thirty-four years’ service in the Indian Public Works Department.
During his service in the Punjab Mr. Johnson constructed two important girder-bridges over the Kurrum and Gambeyla rivers on the north-west frontier road, and from 1889 to 1892 he was employed on the construction of the Bandipur Gilgit road in Kashmir, for which he was specially commended by the British agent at Gilgit.
Mr. Johnson was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 4th December, 1877, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 22nd January, 1884.