Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,431 pages of information and 221,356 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Waring Brothers

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1841 Formed by Charles Waring, William Waring and Henry Waring in York as a civil engineering business.

With Peto and Betts and Mr. Kelk constructed the extension of the Metropolitan Railway and the Metropolitan District Line.

1860s Involved in the design and/or construction of the Pernambuco Railway, the North London Extension Railway, St. Pancras Railway Station, the Orel and Vitebsk Railway in Russia, extensions of the South Eastern Railway of Portugal, the construction of the line between Croydon and Groombridge, on the Surrey and Sussex Railway, the improvement and arching in of the River Senne in its course through Brussels, the construction of about 200 miles of the East Hungarian Railway between Blasendorf and Kronstaat, surveying of a proposed line between Cordoba and Tucuman, in Argentina, and the Honduras railway.

Presumably connected with Waring Brothers and Hunt

1880 Dissolution of the Partnership between William Waring, Henry Waring, and Charles Waring carrying on the business of Contractors for Public Works, at 10, Victoria-chambers, Westminster, under the style or firm of Waring Brothers, so far as regards William Waring and Henry Waring.[1]

1880 Obtained the contract for the Minas and Rio Railway through Mr. Herbert Edgell Hunt. The railway company was formed, the capital for the construction of the works was raised, and the works were carried out by 1884.

Also opened up a portion of the Province of Espirito Santo for the benefit of the Government of Brazil, by surveying the very rough country from the Port of Victoria to Natividade, for the purpose of railway construction.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. London Gazette 30 April, 1880