of Warwick House, Salisbury Square, London, EC4. Also: Melboure, Australia. (1922)
- 1854 Company established by Ebenezer Ward and George Lock in Fleet Street.
- 1878 In need of larger premises they moved to Salisbury Square.
- 1880s James Bowden joined the partnership.
- 1882 Offices opened in New York.
- 1884 Offices opened in Melbourne.
- Mid-1890s, the company opened an office in Toronto, Canada.
- 1919 Canadian branch was closed.
- Trading names:
- Ward and Lock - 1852 to 1891
- Ward, Lock and Bowden Company - 1891 to 1893
- Ward Lock and Bowden Ltd. - 1893 to 1897
- Ward Lock and Co Ltd. - 1897 to present
- The company is still in existence and its imprint is used by Penguin Books.
Sources of Information