Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1874 'Wandsworth New Bridge' opened. It had iron lattice girders 12 ft deep, made by De Bergue and Co. There were five iron girder spans, the length of those nearest the shore 113 ft 6 in., while the three spans others were of 133 ft span. The girders were interconnected to give a continuous beam. The concrete-filled iron cylinder piers in the river were 7 ft 6 in. diameter, sunk 14 ft into the clay and resting on a bed of concrete. Designer: J. H. Tolme. De Bergue & Co's superintendent was Mr Mallalieu. Contractor for the approaches: Mr Bull of Southampton. Resident Engineer was a Mr. Nichols.
c.1939 Construction of replacement bridge; Holloway Brothers (London) were the builders.