Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 11 Charing Cross Road, London
and Gerrard St (1909)
1876 Walter Clement Tyler started in business in the optical lantern, magic lantern, slide and associated businesses.
1905 Incorporated as a private limited company.
1909 New additional premises were taken at the Film House, Gerrard Street, where attention was devoted to the publishing of new cinematograph film subjects from the best continental manufactories. This branch was later formed into a separate limited company under the style of the Tyler Film Co, Ltd.
1910 Demonstration by Walter Tyler Ltd of the improved Tyler-Ernemann cinematograph projector.
1913 Public company floated: Tyler Holdings (Parent Company) Ltd to acquire and carry on the business of Walter Tyler Ltd in connection with manufacturing and marketing sides of the cinematograph industry; included 6 subsidiary companies:
1914 Opticians and lantern manufacturers. Proprietors of the Tyler Apparatus Co. Ltd. (now formed into a separate company), carrying on business at the same address. manufacturing and dealing in all kinds of optical lanterns and cinematograph machines and every appliance for electric theatres; also photographic studio, making lantern slides and lighting effects.