Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1899 the Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Co obtained Parliamentary powers to supply the districts of Wallsend and Willington with electric power
1900 Started erection of a power-station on a site midway between Carville and Walker, close to the riverside branch of the North Eastern Railway, to the designs of Charles Merz.
1900 The Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co purchased the entire plant put down by the Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Co., with the exception of the cables and sub-station machinery installed for the purpose of supplying the works in the area in which the Gas Co. had obtained Parliamentary powers. The Supply Co. further entered into an agreement with the Gas Co., in which the latter undertook to buy electricity in bulk from the former.
1924 The Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead Gas Co acquired the Walker and Wallsend company.