Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,258 pages of information and 220,097 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Royal Victoria Pottery, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Wade, Heath and Co are renowned for their production of Art Deco nursery ware typified by a Walt Disney range of characters that are extremely collectable.
1810 The original pottery was formed by Henry Hallam, to produce ceramic industrial fittings.
The company then moved to Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, in the middle of the nineteenth century and was taken over by George Wade at the beginning of the twentieth century.
In the 1920s the company divided to form A. J. Wade and Co and Wade, Heath and Co and it was the latter that produced the vast range of products with backstamp ‘Wadeheath England by permission Walt Disney’. The Flaxman Ware range of diverse Art Deco products were also launched at about this time, including functional wares and decorative goods.
1927 The firm was formed into a limited liability company.
At the time the firm took over the Royal Victoria Pottery,their main products were teapots, vases, flower jugs and 'fancies'.
WWII. During the War period, tea and dinner wares were added, as well as heavy white ware for the forces. In the ensuing period, when the export drive was concentrated upon, the opportunity was found to develop an important line of small animal and nursery-rhyme figures, Toby-jugs, etc. They also acquired a reputation for their copper lustre wares. The most popular of their nursery series is perhaps the 'Quack-quack' set and among the ornamental ware 'Empress' ware ranks highly.
After 1945 came a programme of modernisation, including the decorating shop, a new enamel kiln, a continuous glost oven and new dipping shops.
1947 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Exhibiting Member of the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation of Federation House, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Composite Exhibit. (Pottery and Glassware Section - Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1240) 
1951 The modernisation programme was completed.
The firm does not appear to have been listed beyond 1954.