Waddington and Sons
of 30 Newport Road, Middlesbrough. Automobile, Motorcycle and Piano manufacturers.
1900 August. Advertisement. Waddington and Sons, 77 Linthorpe Road. Manufacturers of Pianos.
1902 September. Advertisement. Waddington and Sons, 30 Newport Road. 'The Automobile Palace of the North'. Stock of motor Cars and Motor Cycles.
1903-04 Produced two models of automobiles.
1902-06 Waddington were motorcycles produced using Minerva single-cylinder engines for its solos, and Fafnir or Peugeot V-twins for their forecars. They had direct-belt drive plus options of an engine-shaft clutch or two-speed gear, and were typical of the era.
1907 April. Advertisement. Waddington and Sons, 30 Newport Road. Pianos.
1911 June. The Piano business to move from 30 Newport Road, to 108 Linthorpe Road. Firm established 73 years and 18 years ago the Middlesbrough agency was commenced by A. M. Hall. No mention of the automotive business that appears to have ceased by this date.
1918 March. Advertisement. Waddington and Sons, 108 Linthorpe Road. British Piano Manufacturers.
Sources of Information
- Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Wednesday 15 August 1900
- Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Tuesday 30 September 1902
- Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Monday 01 April 1907
- Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Friday 30 June 1911
- Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Thursday 21 March 1918