Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,448 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Spode Works, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs, and 160 New Bond-street, Middlesex.
The father and son team of Josiah Spode I and II also perfected the recipe for bone china which was first produced after much experimentation in about 1799. Early pieces are marked Stoke China. It is this recipe which was to become the standard English porcelain now universally known as Fine Bone China.
1812 William Spode retired and Copeland went into partnership with Josiah II in the London business.
1822 The London business was known as Spode and Copeland.
1824 William Copeland's son, William Taylor Copeland (1797–1868), became a partner, and sole owner in 1833 of both the factory in Stoke and the London businesses.
1833 Copeland went into partnership with Thomas Garrett, manager of the Stoke pottery, the firm being known as Copeland and Garrett. Copeland was Lord Mayor of London 1835 - 36. The Spode brand name was used alongside the Copeland name throughout the 19th and 20th centuries often styled 'Copeland late Spode'.
1847 The partnership was dissolved; the company was then known as W. T. Copeland
1855 Exhibited articles in porcelain at the 1855 Paris Exhibition
1856 First installation of the newly patented Needham and Kite filter press
Merchants and Dealers in China, Glass, Porcelain and Earthenware, at No. 160. New Bond-street, Middlesex, aud also as Manufacturers of China, Porcelain, aud Earthenware, at Stoke-upon-Trent
1875 Edward Capper Copeland left the business
1881 Alfred James Copeland left the business
1895 The business was at 12 Charterhouse-street London and Stoke-upon-Trent; William Fowler Mountford Copeland retired leaving the business in the charge of Richard Pirie Copeland.
1932 Took limited company status
1947 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Exhibiting Member of the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation of Federation House, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Composite Exhibit. (Pottery and Glassware Section - Olympia, Stands No. A.1196 and A.1245) 
1950 W. T. Copeland and Sons sold Jackson and Gosling Ltd to Mr. Donald Poole, formerly the production manager of that pottery.
1970 to commemorate the founder, the name of the company was changed to Spode.