Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,679 pages of information and 227,385 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

W. Pope and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Cast iron lamp post, Clifton Down, Bristol
Cast iron post near Bedminster Bridge

W Pope & Co of 102 Temple Street, Bristol. Iron founders and engineers

Later at Barley Fields Iron Works, Bristol

In business from 1830 to 1894.

1874 Moved to Barley Fields Iron Works in 1874. [1]

Subsequently absorbed into Consolidated Engineering Co

The members who had visited Messrs Thomas's soap works a week ago, on Wednesday afternoon paid a visit to Messrs Pope's Barley Fields ironworks, St Philip's where was constructed the greater part of the hydraulic machinery and engines which had elicited their admiration at the soap works. They were received and conducted through the various shops by Messrs William and Arthur Pope. In addition to the work for local firms, such as Messrs Thomas (of the soap works), Lysaght, Fry and Co., Netham Chemical Works, &c., a great deal of the Corporation and Docks work originates in this establishment - for example, ornamental lamp bases for the former and accumulators for the latter. During the visit a large pan, 9ft. in diameter and weighing 34cwts., was cast for the Netham Chemical Works for use in soda crystallisation, This pan, one of an order of 14, was the centre of attraction to the visitors; the thinness of the casting, its hemispherical shape, and its large diameter rendered it a very difficult object to mould and cast correctly. When the core was withdrawn half an hour after the pouring, it was found that both the operations had been successfully performed. As far as mere weight is concerned, the specimen is by no means comparable with others that have been cast by the firm, some of which have weighed seven tons, nor with fly-wheels which they have produced, for the subsequent treatment of which they have a gap lathe capable of dealing with wheels 24 feet in diameter. In passing through the shops some portions of tanks for Avonmouth Docks were noticed. Some toothed wheels, made of ferro-aluminium (25 per cent. of aluminium having been added to the iron), were also examined; by adding this metal the casting is rendered tougher, stronger, and closer in grain, while blow-holes are almost unknown. The cupola in which the iron is melted is of special construction, there being attached to it a reservoir, in which the molten metal is collected, and in this way two tons can be drawn off at one tapping. This form of cupola (Swain's patent), though common in the North, is rarely seen in this neighbourhood[2]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. [1] Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society (BIAS) website: Foundry plaques
  2. Bristol Mercury, 23 November 1888