Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Battery and radio manufacturer
of Erith for radio manufacture
of Dundee and South Shields for batteries (1965)
1934 T. N. Cole, managing director of Lissen, left that company sometime after it had been taken over by Ever-Ready, purchased Burndept radio company and set up the Vidor battery company, in direct competition with Lissen/Ever-Ready .
Vidor's name came from the initials of Thomas's two daughters, Valerie and Denise, and his wife Rebecca. As a concession to Ever Ready and his agreement with the company, he did not run Burndept and Vidor himself but employed Mr. R.P. Richardson as Managing Director.
1935 Thomas brought an action appealing against the agreement with Ever Ready. An out of court settlement was made and from that time on, relations between Ever Ready and Vidor were strained, not helped by popularity of Vidor batteries with radio dealers because of their competitive prices .
1941 Battery production was relocated to a former jute mill in Dundee following an incendiary raid which destroyed most of the Erith works. Other branch works were established at South Shields and Brechin.
1947 - 1958 Various models of radio were manufactured 
1954 Vidor Burndept Ltd set up a new laboratory for development of Nucleonics Instruments; Vidor-Burndept Ltd was at Erith.
1963 Started exporting battery manufacturing plant
1965 Large contract from India, the 6th for battery manufacturing plant in the past 2 years.
1969 Licence to manufacture dry batteries granted to company in Argentina; Vidor would supply battery making equipment and have a substantial stake in Vidor Argentina .