Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,831 pages of information and 228,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Victoria Bridge, Datchet

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1851 The enclosure of the Little Park at Windsor necessitated removal of Datchet Bridge. Two new bridges were constructed - The Victoria Bridge and The Albert Bridge. Both were designed, it is said, by the Prince Consort, Albert. They were constructed in cast iron in 1850-51.

Prince Albert certainly took a great interest in the construction of the bridges, the Albert Bridge, linking Old Windsor and Datchet, bearing a plaque inscribed "The Albert Bridge, so called by permission of The Most Gracious Majesty The Queen and the Royal Highness Prince Albert, 1851".

WWII The bridge was damaged by extra-heavy traffic

1963 The Victoria Bridge was eventually closed on 26th March 1963 following this wartime damage as cracks had developed in the cast iron ribs.

A temporary Bailey Bridge was erected by Army engineers over the existing bridge, but without placing any load on it, and so that the old bridge could be removed. The Bailey Bridge itself had to be removed later

1966 The road to Datchet was closed to traffic whilst a replacement bridge was being constructed, although a temporary footbridge existed to one side for pedestrians and cyclists.

1967 The bridge was opened in February 1967. The consultants for the project were Messrs. Mott, Hay and Anderson.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information