Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,913 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1785 Bankruptcy of John Watkins, ironmaster, of Tidnor Forge
1809 Advertisement: 'TO IRON MASTERS. Tidnor Iron Works, Three Miles of the City of Hereford, upon the Navigable River Lugg.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, At the Green Dragon Inn, in the City of Hereford, on Thursday, the Twenty-fourth day August, 1809, between the hours of Four and Five o'clock the Afternoon, subject to such Conditions as shall be there produced,
ALL that Desirable FORGE and IRON WORKS, called TIDNOR FORGE, with Coal Houses, Iron Warehouse, Tyre and Smiths' Shops, Pan and Patten Ring Shops, Carpenter's Shop, Clerk Office. Thirteen Houses for Workmen, and Fourteen Statute Acres of exceeding good Meadow Land, with the Fishery thereto belonging.
The Forge consists of one Drawing-out Hammer, One Shingling Hammer and Iron Helve; Two Finerys, One Chafery, Rollers, Cutters, Sheers, Machinery for making Hoops, Strip Iron, Merchant Bars, &c. with a Heating Furnace complete.
The Forge is well supplied with water at the driest seasons of the year, and has the advantage of water carriage to Chepstow and Bristol, from the Forge door, and is regularly supplied with Charcoal Wood, at easy distances, and upon moderate Terms.
These Works and Premises are in the Possession of the Proprietor, in the most complete Repair, and in high repute for making Charcoal Iron of the very first quality. The whole or part of these Premises may be converted into Flour or Paper Mills at an easy expense, there being a sufficient supply of water for a Forge and Mills.
A Purchaser may accomodated with the present Stock, and necessary Utensils and Tools for carrying on the Works, at a fair Appraisement, and immediate Possession may be had if desired. A considerable part of the Purchase Money may remain at Interest upon Security of the Premises, if desired by the Purchaser.
For a view of the Premises, and further Particulars, apply to Mr. Stone, at Tidnor, near Hereford.'