Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,615 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
T. W. Ward, or Thomas W. Ward, of Albion Works, Sheffield; London Office: Brettenham House, Lancaster Place, Strand, W.C.2.
c.1878 Ward was working in 2 rooms; he supplied fuel to iron works in Sheffield
Within a few years he had become an important factor in the iron steel and allied industries. As the business progressed he added the sale of machinery to his activities, extending the area of his operations and eventually dealing in obsolete works and battleships.
1894 Thomas W. Ward Ltd of Sheffield opened its ship dismantling department in 1894, with yards in Barrow, Preston and later in Morecambe
1904 The company was registered on 19 May, to acquire the businesses of coal, coke, iron, steel, machinery, metal merchants and engineers carried on under the style of Messrs. Thomas W. Ward and the Silent Machine and Engineering Co. 
1907 Thomas W. Wade (sic) catalogue on second-hand locomotives, cranes, and general contractors plant
1913 Served as President for the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and Master Cutler.
1914 Gave evidence before the Railway Commission.
1917 Advert. Steam and gas engines, dynamos and motors and machine tools. 
1919 Advert. Steam and gas engines, dynamos and motors and machine tools. 
1924 Advert as buyers of obsolete war and merchant vessels. New and second-hand. 
1924 "When during the Great War, British troops began to march on Palestine from Egypt, one of the great problems to be faced was that of water supply. The difficulty was surmounted by by pumping water from the Nile for nearly 200 miles across the desert - one of the greatest engineering feats of the war. The pipe line ran from El Kantara on the Suez Canal and followed one of the oldest caravan routes in the world, namely, that by which through untold ages those proceeding from Palestine to Egypt or vice versa have travelled. The pipes were well preserved in the dry sand, and some 130 miles or so of tubes, weighing about 7000 tons, are being taken up and Stacked at Kantara ready for sale and shipment. The pipes which were lap welded, screwed and socketed , vary in size. They are being offered for sale by Thomas W. Ward of Sheffield" The Engineer 1924/04/11.
1924 The old-established works of the Bolton Iron and Steel Co, Limited, which in 1903 was taken over by Henry Bessemer and Co Limited, is to be closed down. The Bessemer Company announces its intention of concentrating its business at its Sheffield works, and the reason assigned for shutting down the Bolton plant is the increased competition and the high cost of production. By arrangement with Messrs. Bessemer, the Bolton works have been acquired by Thos. W. Ward, Limited, of Sheffield, but it does not seem likely that the plant will be run again. In all probability the Siemens furnaces and the forge equipment, together with the machine shops, will be dismantled and sold. It is regrettable that the town of Bolton will lose the employment which was provided by this old-established industrial undertaking. The site of the works is, however, a central one, and it possesses considerable value, which should give it an important place in the future development of the town. 
1925 Purchased the Marconi wireless station at Clifden in Ireland, to dismantle.
1926 February 3rd, founder Thomas W. Ward died at his home in Sheffield.
1934 Increase in capital of the public company; since the previous increase, the company had acquired:
1936 Marshall, Sons and Co (Successors) Ltd was formed as a private company to acquire from Thomas W. Ward Ltd the property undertaking and assets of the engineering business of Marshall, Sons and Co Ltd est 1848
c.1936 Acquired Widnes Foundry and Engineering Co
1937 Major business in scrap steel, machine tools, foundry supplies, constructional steel, construction of railtrack, roadstone quarries and 2 cement companies, as well as owning the land previously occupied by Palmer's yard at Jarrow. Owned Low Moor Best Yorkshire Iron Ltd; the majority of Midland Iron Co; new plant was being installed at Widnes and further opportunities there were being investigated
1937 RMS Olympic was towed to the Inverkeithing Works for scrapping
1950 Once again had produced a record quantity of scrap iron. Were laying a road from Jedda to Medina. Acquired John Williams (Wishaw) Ltd and Shap Granite Ltd. Nationalization of Wolverhampton Steel and Iron Company (1946) Ltd and Birchley Rolling Mills
1963 The Ward Group consisted of 35 companies. As well as the parent company these included:
1964 About 40 percent of Ward Group profits came from its metals activities (scrap, steel processing, non-ferrous metals, etc); 31 percent from cement and allied interests; cranes, machine tools, steel construction provided about 21 percent; the other 8 percent came from miscellaneous activities
1965 Acquired John Fraser and Son Ltd of Millwall, boiler makers
1966 The main company acquired the land and machinery of Fairfield Rowan Ltd of Govan, for dismantling; main business was supplying the iron and steel industry, and the rail industry; other divisions were concerned with machinery, factory planning, industrial plant, structural steel, foundry supplies and wagons. Subsidiary companies included:
1979 The Sprotborough foundry closed
1986 Shares quoted on the Stock Exchange
1989 Expansion was largely based on building components
1992 After continued losses, an administration order was granted to the parent company; most of the subsidiaries would continue trading normally