Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,394 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Thomas Raynor Shaw

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Thomas Raynor Shaw (c1872-1944)


1946 Obituary [1]

THOMAS RAYNOR SHAW had a long record of service with the Churchill Machine Tool Company, Ltd., of Manchester, and at the time of his death, which occurred on 15th September 1944 in his seventy-second year, he had occupied the position of chief draughtsman for thirty years. He was educated at the Royal Technical Institute, Salford, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. W. T. Glover and Company, machinists, from 1887 to 1890. After four years' experience in the drawing office of Messrs. John Hetherington and Sons, Ltd., tool makers, Manchester, he continued in the employment of that firm until 1897 when he became second to the chief draughtsman at the tool-works of Messrs. George Richards and Company, Ltd., of Broadheath.

In 1902 he returned to Messrs. John Hetherington as chief draughtsman in charge of the works plant and upkeep department, but four years later he transferred his services in a similar capacity to Messrs. John Stirk and Sons, Ltd., tool makers, Halifax. In 1911 he began his long association with the Churchill Machine Tool Company, which continued, to the end of his career, except for the period 1920-24 when he was engaged as works manager to Messrs. Horsfall and Bickham, Ltd., textile machinists, of Pendleton.

Mr. Shaw had a wide knowledge of machine tools and was the author of several technical publications, including "A Practical Treatise on Machine Tools" and "The Mechanisms of Machine Tools". In addition, from 1895 to 1905, he was a teacher of machine construction and sometime lecturer on that subject at the Royal Technical Institute, Salford.

He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1905 and was transferred to Membership in 1920.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information