Thomas Proctor Campbell (1841-1905)
1881 Death of his wife Frances. 'Campbell - April 29, at Assensole, Bengal, aged 39, Frances, wife of T. F. Campbell, East Indian Railway.'
1905 Obituary 
THOMAS PROCTER CAMPBELL, born on the 7th May, 1841, was trained in an architect’s office, but subsequently adopting the profession of engineering, he obtained an appointment on the East Indian Railway in 1858.
Arriving in India in December of that year, he was posted to Pandu Nadi, about 50 miles above Allahabad. After 2 or 3 years on the Allahabad-Cawnpore section of the line, Mr. Campbell joined Mr. Brookes, then Resident Engineer of the Tonse Bridge, near Mirzapur, and remained on that work till its completion, when he was transferred to the construction of the line from Allahabad to Jabalpur, and placed in charge of the Hiran bridge, three 110-foot spans of lattice girders on well foundations, about 21 miles from Jabalpur.
On the completion of the line into Jabalpur, Mr. Campbell was employed on the terminal station works, where he remained till the summer of 1868, when he came home on furlough.
On his return to India in 1869 he joined the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, then under construction. He remained 7 years on this line, and was promoted to Resident Engineer, his last work being the construction of the central workshops at Lucknow.
In 1876 Mr. Campbell returned to the East Indian Railway, where he spent the remaining 20 years of his service, becoming successively Resident and District Engineer. At the date of his retirement in 1896, he held charge of the Delhi District.
Mr. Campbell’s record, whilst it does not include any works of outstanding importance, is one of quiet persistent work, and duty performed with faithful and unsparing zeal. To his rigid adherence to duty under severe climatic conditions up to the end of his service must be attributed the constant ill-health from which Mr. Campbell suffered after his retirement,, and which culminated in his death at Dalhousie, Punjab, on the 3rd May, 1905, in his sixty-fourth year.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 1st December, 1868, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 30th April, 1889.