Thomas Kilpatrick (1868-1938)
1938 Obituary 
Mr. Kilpatrick was born in 1868 at Stevenston, Ayrshire, where he served a five years' apprenticeship, terminating in 1890, at the Ardeer Foundry Company. During the next four years he worked as a journeyman at various collieries and ironworks, and in 1894 he entered the locomotive works of Messrs. Dubs and Company, Ltd. Two years later he joined Messrs. S. Z. de Ferranti, Ltd., and was engaged on the installation of electric lighting plants both in London and in the provinces.
In 1900 he was appointed electrical engineer to Messrs. R. J. McLaren, Ltd., at Eglinton Foundry, and undertook the installation of the electrical plant in the works. He then went to Paisley as chief engineer to Messrs. W. Fulton and Sons, and took control of the firm's bleaching and dyeing works until 1908. For the next seven years he held the position of chief engineer and master of works of the Thornliebank Works, a branch of the Calico Printers' Association, Ltd. Mr. Kilpatrick joined Messrs. Nobel's Explosives Company, Ltd., at Haslingden Mills, Lanes., in 1915, and became works manager of the firm's cotton waste bleach works there. After the War he took up his appointment with Messrs. Spencer and Curedale, Ltd., and held this position until his death, which occurred on 15th December 1938.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1915.