Thomas Hawkes and Co, glass makers, of Stone Street, Priory Street Dudley
- 1766 Abiathar Hawkes established the Dudley Flint Glassworks on King Street.
- 1780s A larger glassworks with a 10-pot furnace was built between 1781 to 1785 by Joseph Richardson, on the corner of Stone Street and Priory Street, Dudley.
- 1794 Abiabhar’s oldest sons, Thomas and George Wright, managed the firm.
- 1801 Joseph Richardson was contracted to build a new 11-pot furnace on Stone Street, Dudley.
- 1822 The partnership was dissolved. A new firm of Thomas and R. W. Hawkes was formed.
- 1827 Benjamin Richardson began at Thomas Hawkes where he learnt the trade eventually becoming manager.
- 1828 The remaining partners quit and the company closed. Benjamin Richardson was hired to re-open Wordsley Flint Glass Works by George and Charles Wainwright.
- 1829 The firm of Thomas Hawkes was back in business.
- 1830s William Greathead, his father, Francis, and Thomas Hawkes' brother-in-law, Richard Green, joined the firm.
- 1838 A glasshouse with 11 pots was added next to the large cone furnace on Stone Street. The firm traded as Thomas Hawkes and Co.
- 1841 William Greathead had become a partner. The trade name was Hawkes and Greathead.
- 1843 Hawkes and Greathead closed.
Sources of Information