Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 129,076 pages of information and 204,013 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas George Wright (1871-1944)
1871 Born in Wokingham, son of George Thomas Wright
1881 George T. Wright 40, farmer, lived in Wokingham with Emily T. Wright 36, Emily N. Wright 11, Thomas G. Wright 9, scholar, Maurice B. Wright 1, Natalia Wright 70
1891 George T Wright 50, living on own means in Stapleton, Glos., with Emily P Wright 46, Emily N Wright 21, Thomas G Wright 19, electrical engineer, Maurice B Wright 11
1903 Married Bertha Jane Blackmore in Bristol
1905 Chief assistant to Mr H. T. Sully, of Bristol. Joined I Mech E
1911 Consulting Mechanical & Electrical Engineer, Managing Engineering Business, worker, lived in Wellington, with Bertha J Wright 37, Bertha Wright 6
1939 Manufacturer of X-ray apparatus, lived in Finchley, with Bertha J Wright, Denis G Wright, X-ray engineer
1946 Obituary 
THOMAS GEORGE WRIGHT was educated privately in Clifton and at the Merchant Venturers' Mining School and Technical College, Bristol. He began to serve his apprenticeship with Messrs. King, Mendham and Company in 1881, and on its completion continued in the employment of that firm as foreman until 1891. For a brief period he was manager to Messrs. T. Harris and Sons, electrical engineers, and then went into business on his own account as a general and electrical engineer. After filling successively the position of works manager to two engineering firms he became chief assistant to Mr. H. T. Sully, consulting electrical engineer.
His next position was that of manager of a foundry at Wellington, Somerset, but five years later he returned to Bristol to become chief assistant to a consulting engineer. He was also for some time an instructor in motor car engineering at the Merchant Venturers' Technical College. In 1914 he accepted an appointment as consulting engineer to Messrs. Newton and Wright, makers of X-ray equipment, Finchley, and a year later joined the board of directors. His responsibilities also included the design of new devices to meet the constantly changing requirements of X-ray technique. His association with this firm lasted for thirty years until his retirement a few months before his death, which occurred on 20th June 1944, his seventy-fourth year.
Mr. Wright had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1905. He was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.