Thomas Fletcher (1840-1903)
Began works as a dentist in Warrington
1865 He was listed in Cairo Street.
1871 He was listed at 15 Bold Street.
By 1876 he had moved to 4-6 Museum Street, and was manufacturing dental apparatus.
By the early 1880s he had added a gas appliance manufactory in Thynne Street.
1881 The census records show him employing 10 men, 2 boys and a girl.
1872 Developed furnaces to use gas. T. Fletcher and Co
1881 Established new works at Thynne Street, Warrington
1892 Amalgamated his business with W. and A. C. Russell
"...last Mr. Thomas Fletcher , whose inventions in connection with the use of gas have made his name a household word throughout this country, died after a tedious illness. He was born in 1840, and received his elementary education at Manchester Grammar School. In due time he entered the medical profession, but, finding physic and surgery little to his taste, he turned his attention to dentistry, becoming first pupil of, and then partner of, Henry Planck, formerly dean of the dental school connected with the Victoria University. Here he found scope for the inventive faculties which were so strong in him, and here he commenced those experiments on the use of gas for all sorts of furnaces, which met with such success that he early in the seventies quitted dentistry to devote himself entirely to their development. He started manufacture..."More.