Thomas Edward Milles Marsh (1818-1907)
1909 Obituary 
THOMAS EDWARD MILLES MARSH, born at Biddestone, Wilts, on the 3rd April, 1818, received his engineering training under the late Mr. G. E. Frere on the construction of the Western division of the Great Western Railway.
Subsequently he became Resident Engineer on the works at Bath, and, on the opening of the line up to and including the Box Tunnel, he held charge of the permanent way until December, 1841, when he retired from the service of the company.
He was then engaged for short periods on the Caledonian Railway survey, the diversion of the River Wye above Hereford, and on railway survey work and colliery management in the neighbourhood of Newport, Monmouthshire.
In 1844 he became Chief Engineer to the Monmouthshire Canal Navigation Company for the survey and construction of a railway between Newport and Pontypool: he retained this position until 1846, when the work was suspended.
In the latter year, he accepted an appointment under the late Mr. I. K. Brunel as Resident Engineer on the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway, and in 1847 Mr. Brunel appointed him his chief assistant to take charge of all permanent-way work, and to inspect all materials used in his various railway undertakings. On Mr. Brunel's death in 1859, he was entrusted with similar inspection work by the engineers who succeeded him, and by Sir John Hawkshaw for railways in India and Mauritius.
From 1859 onwards Mr. Marsh performed a large amount of inspecting and consulting work for various English, colonial and foreign railways, including the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada and the Northern Railway of Buenos Ayres.
Between 1860 and 1863 he acted as Chief Engineer to the Sittingbourne and Sheerness Railway and Queenborough Pier, the works of which undertaking he completed; and later, he carried out various other engineering works on his own responsibility, chiefly in Bath and the neighbourhood.
He died at his residence in Grosvenor Place, Bath, on the 19th December, 1907, at the advanced ago of 89.
Mr. Marsh was elected a Member of The institution on the 4th March, 1862.