Thomas Dyke (1834-1906)
1907 Obituary 
THOMAS DYKE, son of the late Rev. Thomas Hart Dyke, Rector of Long Newton, was born at East Hall, near Sevenoaks, on the 1st April, 1834.
He was educated at Rugby School and Christ Church College: Oxford, where he graduated in 1856, and obtained his practical training under the late Mr. G. W. Hemans. On the expiration of his pupilage, he was employed by Mr. Hemans until 1868 as Resident Engineer on works of railway construction in various parts of the country, and subsequently he acted for 2 years as Engineer to the Port and Harbour Commissioners of Hartlepool, in which capacity he designed extensive improrement works.
In 1870 he became Agent for Sir Greville,Smyth's estates in Gloucestershire, Somersetshire, and Bristol, and retained this office for 30 years, resigning in 1900.
During his long residence in the neighbourhood of Bristol, Mr. Dyke took an active part in local affairs. He served on the Commission of the Peace, was for 17 years a member of the Somerset County Council, and acted as chairman of the Long Ashton Parish Council from its formation until 1900. He was also interested in the agricultural and political associations of the district, and served several local offices in connection with educational and missionary work of the Church of England.
He died at his residence at Clifton, Bristol, on the 6th August, 1906, aged 72.
Mr. Dyke was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 12th January, 1869, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 7th December, 1869.