Thomas Burgess (Carlisle)
See also Burgess and Insil
Iron and Brass Founders
1825 Advert: 'NEW FOUNDERY,
LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE.
Takes this opportunity of returning his sincere and grateful Thanks to his friends and the Public in general, for the liberal encouragement he has received since he commenced business in Lowther-Street, as an IRON and BRASS FOUNDER, and begs to inform them that the Concern will in future be conducted under the Firm of BURGESS and INSALL; who beg to assure their Friends and the Public that is their determination to use every effort to render their Establishment as respectable and complete as possible.
BELLS of every description, and large BRASS COCKS, made at the shortest notice.
Shopkeepers' Orders for Articles in the above line of business punctually executed, on the most reasonable Terms.'
1837 'On Thursday last that portion of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway..... from the London Road station to the Canal Basin, was opened.... It then passes by an embankment of considerable extent, across Denton Holm, and within a few yards of the new and handsome cotton factory of the Messrs. Dixon; crosses Shaddongate upon the level of the road, and proceeding along the edge of the burial ground of Trinity Church, crosses the Wigton road upon a handsome cast-iron arch, (from the foundry of Mr. T. Burgess).....'
1848 Death Notice: 'On Sunday last, Mr. Thomas Burgess, ironfounder of this city, advanced in years.'
1849 Advert: 'WATERLOO FOUNDRY, CARLISLE.
DANIEL CLARK (Successor to Thomas Burgess, deceased,) begs to announce to his Friends and the Public generally that has PURCHASED the STOCK-IN-TRADE, together with the Book Debts, and entered upon the BUSINESS and Premises of the late Thomas Burgess, deceased, and Iron and Brass Founder, situate in Water Street, CARLISLE, where in future the Business will be carried on by him in all the various branches ; and having been for many years in the employment of the late Thomas Burgess, hopes, by attention to orders, which will be executed with the utmost neatness and despatch and at the lowest remunerating prices, to merit a share of public patronage and support so liberally bestowed upon his predecessor for upwards of twenty years. N.B.—All Debts due to, or owing by the late Thomas Burgess, will be received and paid him.'
From 'Carlisle History' website: BURGESS AND HAYTON, Lowther St Iron and brass founders; ‘Cockpit Smithy’, occupying the site of the old Lowther St cockpit; in 1826 the firm was called Burgess and Insall. In 1826 they cast the Sebergham church bell; Burgess and Hayton cast the Hayton Church bell, dated 1830; Christ Church, Carlisle, bell dated 1830; Wetheral bell, dated 1833, by which time firm had moved to Water Lane; Mr Hayton returned to live in Sebergham, where he died on 26 February 1882]. The 1837 directory lists Thomas Burgess, iron founder, Water Lane and 8 Botchergate; Mr Burgess of Water Street Foundry constructed a gas works to supply gas to the Shaddongate Mill. The Water Lane premises were known as the ‘Waterloo Foundry’.
Sources of Information
- Carlisle Patriot, 17 September 1825
- The Evening Chronicle, 7 December 1835
- Carlisle Journal, 11 March 1837
- Carlisle Journal, 1 September 1848
- Carlisle Journal, 4 May 1849
-  'Carlisle History' website: Carlisle Encyclopedia – B2