Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,456 pages of information and 207,583 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Mersey Copper Works, Widnes, Lancs
See also -
1783 Thomas Bolton founded a company with his sons in Birmingham
1825 the Broad Street works were built, which continued in operation until 1911.
1852 the Oakamoor, North Staffordshire, works of the Cheadle Brass and Copper Company were acquired and expanded.
1857 their product was used for the first successful telegraphic cable across the English Channel
1866 Supplied wire for the first successful cable across the Atlantic.
1881 The Mersey Copper Works were built for smelting and electrolytic refining; a site on the western seaboard was chosen in order to save carriage on the imported ore.
1892 Messrs. Bolton erected works at Froghall in North Staffordshire for the production of high-conductivity copper for telegraphy and electrical generators.
1894 Additional works, the Sutton Rolling Mills, were acquired at St. Helens for the manufacture of copper rollers, chiefly used for calico printing.
1902 The company was registered on 28 May, to acquire the business of copper smelters of the firm of the same name. 
1920s/30s Due to competition from foreign supplies of electrolytic copper, it became uneconomic to carry out the refining processes in Britain, so importing of copper ore stopped. The works then specialized in the manufacture of locomotive copper firebox plates and stay rods, and sulphate of copper.
1937 Copper and bronze manufacturers. 
1968 Queen's Award to Industry for Export Achievement.