Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Bantock (1823-1895) of Merridale House, Wolverhampton
1895 Obituary 
THOMAS BANTOCK died on July 21, 1895, at his residence, Merridale House, Wolverhampton. Mr. Bantock was born at Dunrobin, Sutherlandshire in 1823. Entering the service of the Bridgwater Trustees, he was rapidly promoted to various responsible positions.
In 1849 he was transferred to Wolverhampton to take charge of the Trustees' interests there. Eight years later the Great Western Railway Company induced him to become agent for their boating and parcels department in the South Staffordshire and East Worcestershire iron district, which position he occupied up to the time of his death.
In 1870 he became a member of the Town Council, and, after eight years' service, was appointed an alderman, the still greater honour of election to the mayoralty being conferred in the succeeding year. For a number of years he was chairman of the Watch Committee, and he continued to discharge his municipal duties until failing health rendered resignation imperative. On vacating his seat, the members of the Corporation presented him with an address on vellum, and subsequently with his portrait, which now hangs in the Council Chamber.
Mr. Bantock was also a member of the School Board, a governor of the Grammar School, and assisted in establishing Tettenhall College. In 1887 he was placed on the Commission of the Peace. He was one of the original members of the Iron and Steel Institute.