of Hotwell Road Iron Works, Bristol
1860 Advertising Allen's patent metallic tubular bedsteads (sole patentee and manufacturer)
Information from Maggie Shapland'Mr. Thomas Allen started out as an ironmonger in 1841 based in Rodney Buildings and Berkeley Place. He branched out into furnishing ironmongry in 1844, bellhanging, kitchen ranges and wrought iron manufacture in 1847 trading from Nelson Place and had a factory on Clifton Hill. In 1852 he was trading from Regent Place. He then branched out into stove grate manufacture and then patented and manufactured tubular bedsteads. His factory then moved to 87 Hotwells Road. By 1876 his offices for his patent tubular bedsteads were at 12 St Augustines Parade. They were advertised as being specially adapted for Hospitals and Lunatic Asylums as well as for general use and avoided the wear and tear of bedding. The company ceased trading in 1887.'