Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Alexis Dash (1827-1897)
1897 Obituary 
THOMAS ALEXIS DASH, born on the 22nd September, 1827, was the son of Mr. Thomas Dash, late of Clewer House, near Windsor, and of Wokingham, Berks.
After being educated at Eton he was articled to Mr. Henry Walter, land surveyor, of Wokingham and of Old Windsor.
On the death of that gentleman he was transferred, in 1846, to the office of Mr. G. H. Saunders, of Westminster, under whom he was engaged for five years on surveys for the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Railway, the Furness Railway and Barrow Harbour, and the drainage of the Essex marshes. He was then for twelve months in the service of Mr. John of Whitehall Place.
In the spring of 1852, Mr. Dash entered H.M. Office of Works, and in 1857 was appointed Land Surveyor to the Commissioners of Works and Public Buildings. During the thirty years he held that post, Kennington, Victoria and Battersea Parks were acquired and laid out by the Government, and the sites of the Royal Courts of Justice and of many Government Offices in London and the country were purchased, the surveying and parliamentary work being carried out under his supervision.
He was also responsible for the land surveying in connection with various alterations from time to time in the Royal parks and gardens, and for the record plans relating to their boundaries.
Mr. Dash, having attained his maximum number of years’ service at the Office of Works, retired in 1887.
He died at Woodham, near Weybridge, on the 20th March, 1897.
He was elected an Associate on the 1st March, 1881.