Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Theophilus George Wight (1825-1888)
1888 Obituary 
THEOPHILUS GEORGE WIGHT was born in Demerara, British Guiana, on the 3rd of February, 1825. He was of Scottish descent, and was sent to his father’s native country for his education. There he went through a regular course of mathematical instruction with Dr. Miller, the Rector of Perth Academy, and he further studied scientific subjects under the late Professor Runciman, the Rector of Dollar Academy, and at that time one of the most competent engineers in Scotland.
He also took a course of Architecture under Professor Brown, of the same academy, and one of chemistry under the late Professor Hope, of Edinburgh University.
Being thus well prepared for the business of life in the colony, he returned to Demerara, but it was not until 1858 that he settled down to the career he finally determined to follow. In the year mentioned he obtained the Lieutenant-Governor’s licence, and began practice as a "Sworn Land Surveyor.”
On the creation, in 1861, of a Crown Lands Department for British Guiana, Mr. Wight was appointed, by the Secretary of State for the Colonies, Chief Assistant Crown Surveyor ; and on the death, in 1877, of the Crown Surveyor, he was appointed to that office, which he held till his death on the 13th of February, 1888.
Mr. Wight was a thoroughly competent and zealous public servant, and was held in high esteem by his colleagues. He lately brought about some material changes in the Government Land Department, which have done much to develop the goldmining industry in British Guiana. He also took an active part in framing the new “Crown Lands Ordinance,” which is destined to be an enactment of the utmost importance to the welfare of the colony.
Mr. Wight was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 14th of April, 1885.