The brewery was situated on the south banks of the River Aire near Crown Point, Hunslet and Clarence Dock.
In 1906 the brewery stood on a fraction of its current site between Brook Street, Hunslet Road (this part now being known as Hunslet Lane), Crown Point Road and Waterloo Street. Many smaller streets in the vicinity have since disappeared under the ever extending brewery. All fermenting took place in stainless steel Yorkshire squares and conical vessels; the slate Yorkshire squares, dating from about the 1880s, were removed in autumn 2008.
The closure of the brewery was announced on 5 November 2008.
The brewery finally closed its doors on 17 June 2011, by which time it occupied 22 acres