Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Moveable footbridge whose two halves could be withdrawn for the passage of vessels. Located at the entrance to the East Dock of St. Katharine's Dock. Now preserved alongside the bridge which replaced it in 1994.
The bridge is assembled from wrought iron forgings and iron castings. The wrought ironwork spanning the waterway is attached to rail-mounted cast iron counterweight boxes. The rails were pitched at the standard gauge (4 ft 8½" ), or thereabouts. Movement was by rack and pinion. If the wheels are original, they were certainly 'state of the art', being of the type fitted to several locomotives c.1830.