of Hampton Works, Peel Street, Winson Green, Birmingham
During the nineteenth century John Gutgemann arrived from Germany and developed his family in Birmingham. He used the name John Taylor for a while in partnership with William Henry Gue, as Taylor, Gue.
1900 Taylor, Gue and Company, Limited, was wound up voluntarily, by decision of the members at an extraordinary general meeting. S H Prosser was chairman
1900 The company of Taylor, Gue Ltd was registered to adopt an agreement with Thomas M. Attlee; the company would carry on business as makers and dealers in cycles and cycle parts; subscribers were John Taylor of 3 Twyning Rd, Birmingham, Frederick Gue of Wednesbury, Laura M. Tolley of Birmingham, William Gue of Birmingham, Mrs Mary Gue of Peel St., George A. Baker of Aston and Charles Dust of Sparkbrook
1900 Exhibited a 4 horse-power motor of the horizontal type at the 1900 Stanley Cycle Show
Made frames for Ormonde Motor Co
1904 Took over the Ormonde business late in 1904, which enabled them to produce their own machine the following year.
1905 The company produced its first motorcycle. Called the Veloce, it had a 2hp engine and belt drive, but it was not a success and was discontinued. The company became Veloce Ltd.
1907 A first and final dividend was paid by the liquidator's office
1910 John Taylor was chairman when the company was voluntarily wound up
Sources of Information
- London Gazette, 11 Sept 1900
- Birmingham Daily Post 19 September 1900
- London Gazette 5 Sept 1905
- London Gazette 14 May 1907
- London Gazette 30 June 1910