Talbot Cycle Co
W. A. Gorton, Manufacturer of Talbot Cycles, of Fern Road and Herrick Street, Wolverhampton.
1890s Commenced manufacture in Lord Street but the premises became too small so moved to large premises in Fern Road and Herrick Street. In Herrick Street, there were machine shops for turning and for mechanical work, plating and enamelling departments. In Fern Road were the erecting and finishing shops, warehouse, and office.
1897 Mr. Gorton hoped to combine his business under one address. High reputation for ladies and gentlemens safety cycles, roadsters, racers, juvenile machines, tandems, and tricycles.
1903 The company created the Talbot, a new make of motorcycle, by fitting a 2hp engine in a heavy-duty bicycle frame, adding other bought-in parts and using their existing transfers.
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- Talbot