Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,800 pages of information and 199,893 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
T. Coulthard and Co of Cooper Road, Preston.
See Thomas Coulthard
Company was established in 1815 and made equipment for the cotton industry.
1891 Listed in trade directory as cotton and woollen machinery makers
1896 Sole agents for the Kane-Pennington engine
1896 Became part owners of J. Sumner which became the Lancashire Steam Motor Co and later Leyland Motors. George Spurrier, from Manchester, also took a share of that company. George Spurrier later acquired Coulthard's share.
1897 April. See Visit to the Factory
1898 Lancashire flatbed web perfecting and folding machine, made by T. Coulthard & Co., of Preston
1900 The company acquired limited status and was described as spindle and ring makers, machinists, motor vehicle makers, engineers, boiler makers, and iron and brass founder.
1904 Showed two steam wagons 
1904 Land called Davil Meadows, near Preston Marsh, with a rent of £5 for twenty poor housekeepers. About 1820 the land belonged to John Grimshaw, and in 1904 to T. Coulthard and Co 
1905 Make steam wagons 
The textile machinery business continued under the Coulthard name under John H. Toulmin.
1910 Listed in Cotton Year Book
1917 Listed in trade directory as spindle makers at Spa Road/ Marsh Lane. Lists also 'Coulthard Thos (T. Coulthard and Co) Marsh Lane Tel 140' and 'Toulmin John Henry (T. Coulthard and Co) 58 West Cliff. Tel 133' 
1920 At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Company, held at Cooper-road Works, Preston, it was agreed that the Company be wound up voluntarily; the Liquidator was authorised to distribute 7,000 shares in Leyland Motors Limited, which was the property of this Company, among the Holders of Ordinary shares of this Company. John H Toulmin was chairman
Messrs. Coulthard commenced experimenting with steam road wagons in 1895, and the author joined them in 1896, and was responsible for the various designs up to 1903. The earlier types were fitted with compound engines, uni-direction, and oil-fired boilers. Uni-direction and reversing triple-expansion engines were next fitted, but were discarded in favour of a new compound reversing pattern (patented in 1898) having two bearings, hollow piston valves, and a receiver, which also served as cover for both cylinders and piston-valve boxes. The former triple-expansion engines had also this feature in common, one cover serving for the three cylinders and piston-valve boxes. All vehicles were fitted with change -speed gears and fixed hind axle, with double side-chain transmission. 1900 saw the oil-fired boiler superseded in favour of solid fuel; and, in the last (1901) Liverpool trials this wagon was awarded a gold medal.