The 1894 illustration shows the original swing bridge in the foreground, and the double-decker opening railway bridge behind, crossing the channel between Stanley Dock and Collingwood Dock.
The unusual railway bridge served the Liverpool Overhead Railway on the top deck and the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board railway below.
Neither bridge has survived. The road bridge was replaced by the Stanley Dock Lifting Bridge.
Sources of Information