Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,913 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Swansea and Mumbles Railway claims to be the world's first public passenger railway.
Originally built in 1804 to move limestone from the quarries of Mumbles to Swansea and to the markets beyond, it carried its first passengers on the day the British Parliament abolished the transportation of slaves from Africa. It later moved from horse power to steam, and finally to electric trams, before closing in January 1960.
In 1804 the British Parliament approved the laying of a railway line between Swansea and Oystermouth in South Wales, for transportation of mined materials to Swansea docks. and in the autumn of that year the first tracks were laid. At this stage, the railway was known as the Oystermouth Railway. It later became the Swansea and Mumbles Railway, but its popular name was the Mumbles Train.
There was no road link between Swansea and Oystermouth and the original purpose of the railway was to transport coal, iron-ore and limestone.
Operations began in 1806 with horse-drawn four wheeled dandy, from the Brewery Bank adjacent to the Swansea Canal in Swansea, around the wide sweep of Swansea Bay to its destination at Castle Hill (near the present-day Clements Quarry) at the tiny isolated fishing village of Oystermouth.
1807 approval was given to carry passengers along the line, with company director Benjamin French paying the company the sum of twenty pounds for the right to do so. On March 25, 1807, the first regular service carrying passengers between Swansea and Mumbles began, thus giving the railway the claim of being the first passenger railway in the world.
1877 Steam power replaced the horses in 1877
1893 the railway was extended to nearby Southend.
1893 The company was registered on July 26th, to take over the properties of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway.
1898 the line was further extended to the Mumbles Pier.
The line was electrified using overhead cables – so this line has seen three forms of locomotive power over the years – and on March 2, 1929 the first electrical cars were used. These double-deck cars were the largest built for use in Britain, and each could seat 106 passengers.
During the late 1950s, the South Wales Transport Company (which operated a large motor bus fleet in the area) managed to purchase the railway and despite vociferous local opposition proceeded to close the line down. At 11.52 on January 5, 1960, the last train left Swansea for Mumbles driven by Frank Duncan, who had driven the train since 1907. Within a very short time of the train returning to its Rutland Street base, work began on dismantling the track.
The Mumbles Railway Preservation Society was formed in the 1970s to formally archive material and to maintain the hope that one day the line would re-open.