Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,516 pages of information and 233,947 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Surrey Commercial Docks

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1868. Surrey Lock.
1868. South Dock.

Part of the Port of London

1696 Royal Assent was given to a bill for the construction of a wet dock at Rotherhithe, some 10 acres in extent, which was called the Howland Great Wet Dock after a Streatham family to whom the property belonged. The dock was built as a harbourage and fitting-out place for ships rather than for commercial purposes. This became the nucleus what was eventually the Surrey Commercial Docks system.

The name Great Wet Dock was changed to Greenland Dock.

1864 The Surrey Canal Company amalgamated with the Commercial Dock Co and their complex in the Surrey Basin became part of the Surrey Commercial Docks.

1865 Surrey Commercial Dock Co was incorporated

1865 James Adair McConnochie was appointed resident engineer for the company

1865/6 Work on the Lavender Dock, and the communication between the Stave Dock and the Lavender Pond and deepening of the Albion Dock, Stave Dock, Russia Dock, and Norway Dock.

1866/7 The Commercial Basin was constructed.

1875 The Canada Dock, a new deep-water dock, with connection to the Albion Dock and to the timber ponds, was constructed. Hydraulic machinery was installed for working the principal gates, cranes and capstans, throughout the system.

1880s Docks extended

1893 Mr. McConnochie designed a new deep entrance lock from the river, and other works, for which a contract was let to Messrs. Pearson and Son.

1909 Acquired by the Port of London Authority


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Obituary of James Adair McConnochie