1940 Bernard Sunley started in the construction business.
1944 The Bernard Sunley Investment Trust was incorporated, covering both property development and building construction.
Its development projects later ranged from office blocks in the City and West End to flats, hotels, and shops in the Bahamas. Bernard Sunley served as its chairman and managing director until his death in 1964.
1959 The privately-owned Bernard Sunley Investment Trust was converted into a public company. At this point Bernard Sunley and Sons, builders, and Sir John Jackson, civil engineers, were subsidiaries, as were a large number of properties. The civil engineering division was mainly concerned with open cast coal mining, which was expected to continue for at least 3 years.
1973 Proposed merger with Eagle Star, which triggered a reference to the Competition Commission.
1979 Bernard Sunley Investment Trust was acquired by Eagle Star.
1980 Bernard Sunley Investment Trust was renamed Eagle Star Properties.