Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Ship builders and repairers, of Sunderland

1954 Public company established which was made up of the Thompson, Laing and Crown yards and the repairer T. W. Greenwell and Co.

1961 Shipbuilders and repairers.

1961 Shipbuilders, electrical engineers, and forge masters; dry dock owners and ship repairers; manufacturers of steel castings, winches, forgings and auxillary marine engines. 5,400 employees. [1]

1961 Amalgamated with William Doxford and Sons as Doxford and Sunderland Shipbuilding and Engineering Co

1966 On 1st April a full merger of the yards happened.

1973 The old East yard at Pallion was demolished and replaced with a gigantic shipbuilding hall where two ships could be built at the same time, side by side with each other. The Doxford and Sunderland Group was renamed Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd on 5th March.

1975 The yards were nationalised.

1976 The East Yard was rebuilt as a state-of-the-art covered shipyard, which opened in 1976.

1977 The yards were merged into British Shipbuilders Ltd on 1st July.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • L. A. Ritchie, The Shipbuilding Industry: A Guide to Historical Records (1992)