Sturgess and Towlson
of Vulcan Ironworks, St. Miles/Coslany, Norwich
1871 Commenced business 
1877 Advert: 'IMPORTANT NOTICE TO USERS OF STEAM.
STURGESS & TOWLSON, ENGINEERS, &C.,
Beg to direct the attention of Steam users to their IMPROVED COMPOUND STEAM ENGINES, with S. and T.'s VARIABLE AUTOMATIC CUT-OFF EXPANSION VALVE, regulated by Governor, which determines the exact part in stroke where Steam from Boiler should cut off and expansion begins. This ensures the most perfect regularity of speed with the greatest Economy in Fuel. Full Boiler pressure, used in Cylinder at commencement of each stroke, with the most varying loads (which cannot be attained by any fixed Cut-off Expansion Valve). These Engines are a new and most improved compact design, and very strong, every part easy access, extra large wearing surfaces, with improved adjustible Bearings, and Pistons guided at Back ends to prevent Cylinder wearing oval. Coal consumption guaranteed.
S. and T. are also Makers of all classes of Steam Engines and Boilers, from Two to Sixty nominal Horse Power, of superior design and workmanship, and the greatest Economisers of Fuel: are also Millwrights, Iron and Brass Founders, Makers of Hydraulic Presses, Pumps, Lifts, and all classes of Hydraulic Machinery; Brewers' Engineers, &c., &c.
Further description and particulars of Engines, and various Machines, will be furnished by applying to our Works.
VULCAN IRON WORKS, St. Miles', NORWICH.
S. and T. supply their Improved Expansion Cut-off Valve to the Trade.' 
1880 Sturgess and Towlson reversing vee twin launch engine is sole survivor of a peculiar design. It originally powered the steam launch 'Vivid'.
1893 Partnership change. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, William Tomkins Sturgess and Edward Towlson, carrying on business as Engineers. Millwrights, Iron and Brass Founders, at the Vulcan Iron Works, in the parish of St. Michael at Coslany, in the city of Norwich, under the style or firm of Sturgess and Towlson, has this day been dissolved, by mutual consent...'
Sources of Information
- Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 19 May 1877
- Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 7 July 1877
-  Old Engine House website: Bridewell Museum webpage
- The London Gazette Publication date:5 May 1893 Issue:26398 Page:2640