Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,404 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Stratford and Moreton Tramway was a 16-mile long horse-drawn wagonway from the canal basin at Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire to Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire, with a branch to Shipston-on-Stour.
The tramway was intended to carry Black Country coal to the rural districts of southern Warwickshire via the Stratford-on-Avon Canal, and limestone and agricultural produce northwards.
The parliamentary act for the line was passed in 1821
1823 March Notice asking for proposals for the supply of materials to the 'Stratford and Moreton Railway Company'. 
The branch to Shipston was built in 1836.
The line functioned as a horse-drawn tramway for several decades, but did not prosper. In 1851 the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway was opened through Moreton-in-Marsh and the tramway began experimenting with steam operation.
In 1859 the southern section between Moreton and Shipston was converted into a proper railway. The tramway company went bankrupt in 1868, and the line was taken over by the Great Western Railway.
The northern section of the line from Shipston to Stratford continued to be used as a horse-drawn branch-line carrying lime until the 1880s, when it fell into disuse.
The tracks were lifted in 1918 as part of the war effort, and the line was formally abandoned in 1926, exactly 100 years after it had been opened.
The tramway bridge across the River Avon at Stratford remains in use by pedestrians. One of the horse-drawn wagons, which belonged to Thomas Hutchings of Newbold Lime Works, is preserved near the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-on-Avon. This would probably have been Newbold on Stour, rather than Newbold-on-Avon.
The southern section between Moreton and Shipston fared better: a steam-hauled passenger service operated until 1929, when buses took over. The line was used by occasional freight trains until 1960, when it was closed and dismantled.