Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,429 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
c.1750 An iron furnace was established on the Stradey Estate, possibly built for Sir Edward Vaughan Mansell, and originally worked by Daniel Shewen.
Two industrialists, John Gevers and Thomas Ingman, may have taken over the works, possibly helped by Alexander Raby, who encouraged them to come to Llanelli where they began to build an iron furnace and foundry on land at Cwmddyche (later known as Furnace).
1793-4 Stradey Iron Works appears to have been established by John Gevers and Thomas Ingman on the site of the older Stradey furnace. The first blast furnace was probably built in 1793 and probably commenced production 1794.
1796 – 1807 Owned by Alexander Raby, who built a second blast furnace in 1800, and an iron forge in 1804. Blast furnaces ceased production 1807; forge probably closed 1807 but possibly continued in use into 1810s.
1807 – 1811 Operated by the Trustees of Alexander Raby
1811 – 1810s Operated by Alexander Raby & Arthur Raby
Blast furnace cast house/s subsequently used as an iron foundry by Yalden and Company and latterly by Hugh Waddle. Wern Brass Foundry II subsequently built on part of site of Forge. The above information is taken from 'The Industrial and Maritime History of Llanelli and Burry Port 1750 to 2000'