Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,910 pages of information and 202,084 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stothert and Pitt of Bath.
Formerly Stothert, Rayno and Pitt
c.1855 Became Stothert and Pitt
1869 Made a Titan crane for setting 27-ton blocks during construction of the Manora Point breakwater, Karachi ('Kurrachee'). Tested with 40-ton load in Bath, September 1869 
1876 Supplied a blocksetting crane to Colombo Harbour Works, Ceylon for breakwater works. Stothert and Pitt; 17/30-ton non rotative, sidesetter. Supplied with two styles of jib which probably explains the two capacities noted. 1875-1884 works utilized 30 -32T sloping bond block; 4212’; completed 1885. Worked in conjunction with the 1876 Taylor blocksetter. Photo - p182, 'Civil Engineering, Photographic History', M.Chrimes. 
1883 The health of the 2 partners worsened; the company was incorporated as a Limited Company with Mr Stothert as chairman; he remained in this position until his death.
1902 Public company. The company was registered on 2 July, to acquire a business of engineers, manufacturers of harbour and dock plant and electric cranes. 
1914 Built their largest Titan crane to date at Victoria Yard. It was built to the order of Messrs. Topham, Jones, and Railton for block setting at the breakwater at Fishguard Harbour. It was described as the largest travelling crane of its type ever built in this country. The crane was designed for loads of 40 tons at a maximum radius 125 ft. 
1914 Manufacturers of cranes and harbour plant. Specialities: giant cranes and titans for harbour construction, electric cranes for docks, large cranes for railways, capstans and hauling gear, concrete machines. Employees 900. 
1918 1918 3no. 36 ton breakdown cranes built for the Ministry of Munitions for use by the British Army Railway Operating Department on the Nord Railway in France and Belgium. They were out of gauge for use on British main lines.ne survived on the SNCB until about 2000. It had to have its jib modified.One probably never left England and was sold to the Prince of Wales Dry Dock Co., Port Talbot.
1921 Mr Wilson S. Carr represented the company on the South-East Coast.
1922 Supplied six 25-ton capacity cranes to Fougerolle Frères of Paris for port construction in Morocco. These were steam-powered rail-mounted cranes weighing 95 tons, with a 37 ft jib.
1926 Entrusted by the Calcutta Port Commissioners with an order for twenty-four 2-ton level luffing electric jib cranes for the equipment of the quays at the King George Dock in Calcutta. Eighteen cranes are of the semi-portal type - twelve for the import shed and six for the export shed and the remaining six are of the full portal type and intended for the import shed.
1937 Engineers. 
1940 Advert. Screw displacement pumps. 
1945 Advert. Designers and makers of electric, steam and diesel cranes, concrete mixers, road making and quarry plant. excavators, ship's windlasses, winches and capstans etc. 
1949 Two cranes made by Stothert and Pitt were installed on Melbourne's Station Pier at the seaward end. Although decommissioned in 1975, they remained in place until 1996.
1960 Multi-bucket excavators. 
1960 Advert. Electric and diesel-electric cranes, concrete mixers, vibrating rollers, road making and quarry plant, multi-bucket excavators etc. 
1961 Manufacturers and exporters of cranes; concrete mixers, truck mixers, vibrating rollers, batching plant and quarry plant; rotary and screw displacement pumps, centrifugal and marine pumps; windlasses, winches and capstans. Also manufacture multi-bucket excavators. 2,200 employees. 
1968 Contract for twelve cargo cranes to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. 
1986 Robert Maxwell's Pergamon Holdings injected £4million into the company in exchange for 77 percent of the equity
2015 One of the Melbourne Station Pier cranes, was reinstalled as part of the heritage interpretation scheme for the pier.
Built in 1878 by Stothert and Pitt to William Fairbairn's 1850 patent.
The oldest surviving exhibit of its type in Britain and a scheduled ancient monument.
The crane's strength lay in its jib, which was made of wrought-iron plates riveted together to make an immensely strong tubular-section girder. It could lift up to 35 tons (35.56 tonnes) and was meant to supplement the lifting ability of the Docks' other 17 cranes.