Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,403 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stoke Railway Works
1864 The works were set up by the North Staffordshire Railway in the town of Stoke-on-Trent
The railway's first engines were supplied by a variety of outside manufacturers: Robert Stephenson and Co, Vulcan Foundry, Hudswell, Clarke and Co, Kitson and Co, Neilson and Co, as well as Sharp Brothers and Co who supplied six, including "Dragon" which opened the line in 1848. These were of the class known as "Little Sharpes".
By 1864, the railway owned 64 locomotives. In 1868 the works was ready to build new machines, producing three 0-6-0 tank locomotives similar to a Hudswell Clarke design.
Between 1879 and 1901, thirty more 0-6-0 tanks were built to a design by J. C. Park, of which fourteen lasted until British Railways ownership, the last being taken out of service in 1958 some seventy years old.
1923 New building finished when the LMS took over
1927 The works closed, with the work transferring to Crewe.